Monday, April 5, 2010

Guess I have time

It's 1:15 in the morning. Joey is in with dad, Pete is sleeping on the couch and I'm sitting here wondering why I can't sleep. Probably the coffee. I should pay more attention to what time I start/stop drinking coffee.

Friday night my dad said he wasn't feeling well. Nothing new...he's never feeling well these days. He had a fever for a couple of days but no other symptoms. At 9:00 he told my sister that he needed to go to the emergency room. It was when he was in the ambulance and on his way to the hospital that he had a heart attack.

They told my mom to get the family together and that we shouldn't expect him to make it through the night. He went 10 - 15 minutes without oxygen and they didn't stabilize him until 3:00 in the morning. He has a bad pneumonia in his left lung and he already has lung problems. They have trouble keeping his blood pressure and oxygen levels up and trouble keeping his heart rate down. The medications he's on for his blood pressure are making his heart rate increase and the oxygen is at 70% and climbing.

Saturday morning and throughout the day he's unstable. I spent the day with the girls and didn't get back to the hospital until about 7:00 last night. As soon as I walked in to see my dad - the doctor came in and asked if my mom was here. She wasn't. The doctor said to call her - we needed to have a family meeting and everyone needed to be here. Amanda, Peter, Joey and I were looking at each other and basically saying 'who's gonna make the call'. I chose to call Andy and tell him - he was home with mom.

They show up about 10 minutes later and we waited for our Uncle Ray to show up (my dad's brother). He showed up with his wife Linda and daughter Rebecca. Time for a meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment