Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Day 25

Our feet hit the floor at 6:20. Usual morning ritual on the days that I take the girls to Pete's parents house. The girls decided to take their babies with them today. It was a nice day so they were able to get outside and play while Pete and I worked, worked and worked some more.

I went and picked them up, came home, ate dinner, play time for a bit and then the usual night time routine. Pj's, brush teeth, read books (we let Hannah read to us tonight) & in bed. They're sleeping - we're tired.

I was going to work out but didn't. Pete and I cleaned up a bit and then spent some time on the computer.

If you read through the past 25 days of this blog you'll notice a trend. And that's a routine. We're not 'robots' or militant. But we do keep to very strict routine when it comes to the girls. When we realized we were having triplets there was a lot to talk about. One of those things happened to be about how we're going to have to make sure that life is as easy as possible for all of us. One thing that I read over and over again while on bed rest was that kids are creatures of habit. They will transition much easier to new things if they can rely on some other things to be the same. And they take things much easier when they know what to expect. It makes sense. EVERYTHING is new to them. Every little thing that we take for granted - they've never seen, felt, heard, tasted or experienced before. I can't imagine what it's like for them. So by keeping a schedule and a routine - it really does make life easier on us as a family.

The girls have slept in their own room since day one home from the hospital. And they've had their own cribs since they started moving around a bit. (I'd have to check their blog for the exact month but I think it was maybe month 3). Before that - Hannah & Hailey shared a crib and Emily slept in a pack-n-play. Pete and I moved our bed into their room so that when it was time for us to separate from sleeping in the same room - the girls wouldn't have to make the transition of moving rooms. We just moved our bed back to our room.

I've tried to feed them all at the same time since early on. Of course when they were really little and needed to eat every 2 hours we would stagger their feedings. But I'm talking about meals when they eat in the kitchen...and only in the kitchen. One of us sits down with them at breakfast every morning and we all sit down together as a family for dinner at night. Sure - one of us could use that 1/2 hour to be getting stuff done. But family time is more important to us than anything else. The girls expect it now. Especially Emily - she likes to help herself to the food on my plate. Somehow it tastes better even though it's usually the same thing that's on her dish...lol.

Eh - that's just a little more info on our days as a family with triplets. Most days are very routine. Especially during the week when we're working. And there's always something more to do. Laundry is never done. The bathrooms are forever screaming for some bleach. I clean the kitchen the same way every night and yet the next night I know I'll be back on my hands and knees scrubbing the food off the floor from dinner time. I don't mind it though. It's worth it...every minute of it.

I certainly couldn't do it without Pete. He's not the usual husband from what I hear. And he's learned how to multi task better than me at times! If you knew him - you'd know this was a feat that should be in the Guinness book of world records. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment