Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Day 156

I got a lot of sleep last night. The girls slept all night and that means so did Pete and I. Which was great because I haven't been feeling 100% lately. I've had a cough forever, a sore neck, a little congestion. Not a big deal. Pete's been sick too - he had a throat infection and also has some congestion. So getting a good night's sleep has been really beneficial for the both of us. And today I felt great when I woke up.

The day started off as usual. I got ready while Pete got the girls ready. Then the girls and I left and headed to Pete's parents house. I dropped off the girls and headed to work.

I get to work @ 7:57 and there were already pts waiting to be put in rooms. So I drop everything on my desk, grab a pen, grab my stethoscope and head up front to grab the 1st chart. All of a sudden my arms went completely numb. Numb from shoulders down to my fingertips. At first I shrugged it off. Just stood there for a minute and thought it would go away. But then I realized I couldn't move my fingers at all - no matter how hard I tried. Put your hand in a fist...I couldn't do that. Open your hand wide - I couldn't do that either. Pick up your arm...nope. Complete paralysis was what I was experiencing.

I looked at 2 of the girls I work with and said 'Something is wrong. Something is really wrong.' Inside I was panicking. All I thought was that I was having a heart attack and dying right then and there. The nurse I work with was right there asking me questions - then a doctor. Now I'm in a room and the doctor is asking questions and examining me when a sudden sharp pain went right across my chest from shoulder to shoulder. Then just as quickly as it came - it went.

I was scared to say the least. By 8:30 I was in the ED being evaluated. I saw many doctors...all of whom were scratching their heads. I could see the nurses station from where my bed was and so I heard the conversations. Things like 'I have an interesting patient with concerning symptoms...' After telling the same story to a lot doctors and then having an MRI (no pinched nerve) and then waiting in the ED for yet 'one more doctor' we (Pete came right away) finally had a doctor in front of us that was full of excitement because he thinks he knows what's going on. This is good and bad.

Good - because we might have an answer. Bad because I don't think it's an answer that we really wanted to hear. 1st there was question of my ITP (look it up I'm not explaining it) returning. These words alone made my heart sink and the blood drain from my face. But that was quickly ruled out with some blood work. Thank God. Now the neurologist thinks I have what's known as BECK'S SYNDROME. With that being said - he admitted me to the hospital for more testing.

If I were to go home he said the symptoms might come back and there's a possibility of a stroke and/or aneurysm. No need to have a stroke at home when you can stay here and let the experts take care of you! I am scheduled to have an angiogram tomorrow to 'rule out' the aneurysm and see if there is some deformity of the spinal cord that would be cutting off my blood flow. I think both would mean surgery but haven't gotten to question the doctor that much in depth yet. Pete and I were pretty much in 'go go go' mode when we realized I wouldn't be coming home today.

Luckily for us - my mother in law was ready and willing to keep the trio for the night with no problems.

So here I sit in the hospital with Pete next to me. Had some visitors that kept me company for a bit ;-) And we'll have to wait and see. I'll have to say it's been a scary ride. But we'll get through this just like everything else...as a team and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment