Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Hump Day..

In the 'working' world - Wednesday = Hump Day.  In the 24/7 world - Wednesday = what day is it again?  Point being - they all blend together.  And rather than looking at days in terms of deadlines or what needs to be done - it's looked at in terms of what day is story time at Barnes & Noble and what day is Dance again?  Not negative changes - but changes all the same. 

Pete had to be to work early today.  We got up early for once - so he got to work on time for once.  I was able to shower before the girls woke up which was great.  When they woke up we had breakfast and they desperately needed a bath.  They didn't get one last night because we got home so late.  So I threw their tiny butts in the tub and gave them a bath.  It was fine bathing them alone.  Usually it's a 2 man job but they're getting old enough to understand the dangers of the tub.  Hitting their head one too many times was probably key to their understanding.  Not that I walked away from them at all...I wouldn't consider it.  But being able to focus on washing one while the other 2 play is a blessing in itself.  YOU put 3 of your kids in the tub and let me know how much fun it is :)  Oh - and let me know how dry you are in the end LOL

After bath the girls were getting on my nerves - truth be told I woke up in a horrid mood.  So I'm sure they were being fine but I was the one being critical.  Anyhow - I had enough of their comments of  'I can't do it!'  'Mommy help meeeeeee!'  'Mommy YOU do it for me!'  Ugh.  DONE DONE DONE  I finally threw their clothes at them and simply said 'Tags go in the back.  Get dressed or you're going to Grandma's house NAKED!'  And at that point I think I really meant it. 

Emily's response was to continue playing.

Hannah's response was 'Uh oh...I no be naked mom!'  And she started to get herself dressed.

Hailey's response - she was dressed, tags in the back...in less than 3 minutes.  She then proceeded to help Hannah.  Hannah was putting her pants on backwards which I don't really care about but Hailey knew and so she took Hannah's pants off and said "No Poodle - dis way" 

Emily was getting dressed at this point.  She had her pants on her legs but claimed she was 'stuck' and couldn't stand up.  Hailey finished helping Hannah and ran over to Emily and helped her stand up.

They all needed minimal help getting their shirts on so I helped.  But in the end I learned something.  I underestimate their abilities.  I'm always in such a hurry to get to the next part of our day that I just DO things for them.  It's easier for ME if I get them dressed.  It takes much less time and patience.  But at the same time - I'm taking away...rather withholding...their independence.  And independence is something that I want them to have. 

See - sometimes it helps to wake up raunchy!

Poodle = some pet name they've all picked up for each other.  I have no idea where they got it but they all call each other Poodle now.  Mostly it's "c'mon poodle!"   

1 comment:

  1. Love the nick name. Love the story - I picture three angels quietly dressing one another - and Mommy Dearest in the back ground! LOL. Just kidding. Yep, it's these moments when you realize "hey, why didn't I see this ability before?"

    ReplyDelete