Wednesday, March 30, 2011

3 YEAR APPT

The girls had their 3 year follow up today.  NO SHOTS!  Yay!!!!  They all had their hearing and eyesight checked.  Looks like we'll be making an appt for all 3 to see the eye doctor soon since they didn't pass the eye test.  They've seen the eye doctor before so we're not surprised by this news.  Their hearing is great and they can all touch their toes (guess that's part of the check up lol).  Here are their stats:

Emily:  weight - 29lbs which is 40%  Height - 37.5in which is 50%.  She great 4" since last year!!!!  And she gained 5lbs.  Imagine growing 4" and only gaining 5lbs?  

Hailey: weight - 23.8lbs which is not on the growth chart.  Height - 36" which is 25%.  She also grew 4" since last year and she gained 2lbs. 

Hannah: 24.4lbs which is not on the growth chart.  Height - 36.25" which is 25%.  She grew 4" and gained 2lbs. 

So all 3 of them grew 4" since last year!!!!  The doctor isn't worried about their weight.  We went over their diet and they eat well - they're not picky with what they eat and we offer plenty of variety.  It's just that they are very active, have high matabolisms and seem to have a good gene pool for being petite. 

I had a lapse in 'mom' judegement today.  We were getting to the doctors office RIGHT on time so I wanted to make sure we didn't waste any time getting inside.  Every time I take the girls somewhere, I get them out of the car one at a time, put them down next to me and say "Stay here - don't move."  I say it with a stern, you-better-listen-to-me-if-you-know-what's-good-for-you kind of voice.  In my haste to get them inside - I took Hannah & Hailey out of the car, put them down without saying anything and then looked at Emily (who was taking her sweet time getting out of her car seat) and I said to her "C'mon - we gotta hurry and get inside...we don't wanna be late."  Well what I didn't realize is that Hannah & Hailey heard last statement and took it as 'Go on ahead without me'.  By the time I got Emily out of the car and turned my head (I mean...it literally couldn't have been more than 30 seconds) Hannah & Hailey were walking accross the parking lot ALONE.  This place is MOBBED with cars.  And they're walking through a main part where people driving are looking for parking spaces...not looking for wandering 3 year olds in front of them.   MY. HEART. SANK.  A split second.  That's all it takes. 

Luckily for me - there were no cars coming.  I said "Hannah" and she heard, realized what was happening and she and Hailey came back to me.  I could see the look on Hannah's face.  She was going through her head "Uh oh..I'm in trouble.  I shouldn't have walked in the street.  Oh no.  What was I thinking.  I could have been hurt.  Oh no."  I could tell she KNEW what she did was dangerous.  But I also knew she didn't do this on purpose.  She didn't run away from me.  She didn't run accross the parking lot.  She was simply walking to the doctors office.  But she had forgotten to take me with her.  I didn't yell at her.  I got down to their level and said "Listen - it's very important that you ALWAYS wait for Mommy.  It's too dangerous to walk through the parking lot without me."  She knew this already - but she's 3.  And it's MY job to make sure she's not walking alone...not hers.  Hailey was an innocent bystander in all of this.  She was playing follow the leader...in this case Hannah.  

After the office visit we came home, ate lunch and the girls took naps.  It warmed up nice outside so we went out to play!  I set up their t-ball game and they all took turns learning to swing a bat and hit the ball.  At one point they were all playing in their playhouse.  I was sitting on the grass.  Hailey came to tell me something and as she ran away from me she looked back at me.  Well Hannah was running towards me...but looking back at Emily.  Yup.  Just as they each turned forward they smashed heads.  Hailey's nose went smack right into Hannah's head.  I was up off the ground before it happend.  I HEARD the crash.  Then I saw the blood.

As I scoop them both up, one under each arm like I'm carrying 2 footballs, I yell at Emily "Emily get in the house now!"  She had no idea what was happening but she knew it was urgent.  Emily gets in the house, I toss Hannah on the floor and grab the 1st thing I could reach out of the freezer.  It was a cup...one of the ones that has some liquid on the side so you can keep a drink cold.  I toss it to Hannah and tell her to put it on her head.  In the meantime I grabbed a towel and had Hailey holding her head back while I'm trying to stop her nose from bleeding.   Hannah had a big knot on her head which was fine - ice would do the trick.  I thought I held enough pressure on Hailey's nose to stop the bleeding so I switched out the towel for a real ice pack which I found in the freezer.  Told her to put it on her nose and used the moment to calm down and switch laundry.  But I guess I didn't wait long enough cuz I heard Hailey say "Ewwww".  I look up and find her nose gushing blood again.  Ugh.  Back to the towel...more pressure...more time. 

We iced the wounds, cleaned up the blood, talked about looking in FRONT of us when we're running and then headed back outside.  We walked around the block and then headed to the park for some time on the playground.  It actually was a pretty good day :)

1 comment:

  1. OMG I remember when Daniel was just 3. We were walking to the park and had to cross a busy street along the way. He was just headed of me and I said something about the swings when we get to the other side and he bolted! Just bolted before I could do anything! My heart sank. And then I shook. There was nothing I could do - it was too late. Thank God no cars were coming.

    ReplyDelete