Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Letter to the Atty General

September 15th, 2010



Dear Attorney General Blumenthal,


I’m writing this letter to inform you of a situation currently taking place at The Learning Experience childcare center in Cromwell, CT. I am a mother of 2 year old triplets and brought my girls to this childcare facility for full time care. Upon our registration process we informed the facility that we would only be able to afford sending our girls to school with the help of Care for Kids – which as you know is a state funded program.


An agreement was made that TLE did and would accept Care for Kids and we would be able to start our girls at the school for a cost of $665 per week which we would be paying in full until Care for Kids processed the paperwork. At that point we would pay the difference that Care for Kids didn’t cover moving forward.


Our girls are very sensitive to change and this was their 1st time experiencing childcare outside of the home. It was a very rough transition for them to make and it was actually 4 full days before one of our girls even spoke while she attended school. They no longer were interested in using the potty (they were almost fully potty trained when entering school) and they started showing high levels of anxiety. I know this may not sound like much to you but please keep in mind that we are experiencing this time 3!


The Care for Kids paperwork was signed on August 2nd 2010 by one Alyson Bruni (see attached copy of the paperwork). The girls started school on August 9th 2010. It was on September 10th that Care for Kids informed us that The Learning Experience does not qualify for any form of state aid and we have 30 days to find a new facility. This is 5 full weeks after our girls had been enrolled and we were finally seeing some progress! We now have to take them OUT of the school, find a school that has 3 openings (not an easy task I assure you), make sure we like the school and then get the girls enrolled. This is very time consuming. I immediately called TLE and explained the situation.


The financial setback was $3,703.75 (total amount we paid to TLE). We would not be getting any money back from Care for Kids as TLE doesn’t qualify. The social and emotional setback has yet to come. Our triplets are currently being care for by my elderly mother-in-law as my husband and I frantically search for a new facility. We have looked at over 6 facilities in 3 days and finally today we think we have decided on a match. Their start date is October 1st and I am not looking forward to the high anxiety levels, screaming kids all the way to school, death grips on my clothes while I try to leave and another potty training setback. These are only a few examples as there will be social and economical setbacks as well.


That’s the background story. The headliner is this – I was offered money and free childcare to ‘not say anything’ about the fact that the DPH told us the owners of TLE were convicted of vendor fraud in 2006. This offer came from Edward Faraci – one of the owners. Upon further investigation on my own part, I found out that Alyson Faraci was also convicted of this crime. I did not accept any offer from Mr. or Mrs. Faraci and in fact did not even contact them until today – September 15th 2010. I called Mr. Faraci today and explained that I would like a 100% refund of monies I paid to TLE. He agreed and stated he would write a check immediately. However; as you see from the date on the check – it looks as though it was written on September 9th 2010. The check was predated – though I’m not sure why. It is also signed by Alyson Faraci – not Alyson Bruni…even though Alyson signed Bruni to apply for the state aid – she signed her Faraci to a check. Again – I’m not sure why…I can only make assumptions.


They never should have accepted our children to their school knowing that they couldn’t accept state aid. If you note in the attached Parent/Provider agreement that is signed by Alyson Bruni (her maiden name I can only assume), she uses a different name than the name she signed on her business check (also attached copy) which is Alyson Faraci.


I feel as though I was left out in the cold since I only had the weekend to find child care for my 2 year old triplets. Edward (aka: Eddie) made several attempts to get me to give him the paperwork we received from Care for Kids. I did not honor his request and I am now putting this in the hands of the state. I will be contacting the corporate office of TLE as well. I think this business is a great place for kids to be cared for but under new ownership. I feel as though I was used as a ginneapig to ‘see’ how much they could get away with – again! Apparently a $1.2 million settlement wasn’t enough to enforce law abiding behavior in the Faraci’s.


My girls will suffer the most from this lapse in judgment by the Faraci’s and I’m very upset about this. I am happy to have received a full refund however I’m not sure it’s enough. Edward and Alyson Faraci are once again up to no good and I want them to understand they cannot just take advantage of innocent people to further themselves financially. It’s simply not ethical.


Thank you for your time and understanding in this matter,

2 comments:

  1. I haven't sent the letter yet. I need to make coppies of the checks and the settlement agreement (which he will be very familiar with since HE signed it!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. Gawd. Seriously? Michelle, that's INSANE. Very well-worded letter, though. I hope you got (or get) some response.

    ReplyDelete