Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Compromise

Life is about compromise.  And if you don't learn to go with the flow and let certain things go - it'll just drive you crazy to have to get out of bed every day.  One thing I was looking for in a program for school for the girls was 2 days a week and only 3 hours on each of those days.  Then next year I was willing to do 3 days a week followed by full time K.  But...it is what it is and I can't change school systems or their programs.  So - what we have found that we seem to like a lot is St. Brigid school.  They don't offer a 2 or 3 day a week program but they do offer part time.  It's Mon - Fri from 8-11.  I think I can handle that since I suspect the girls will be home sick for most of the 1st year anyway!  They'll wear uniforms (some of you might cringe but I'm ok with this since it's LESS clothes that I'll have to buy them when school shopping!).  They meet in the gym every morning for morning prayer and then they go to their classrooms.  There is only 1 class for each grade (through 8th).  This might eliminate the 1 vs 3 classroom debate (unless we choose to switch them over the public school).  In the 3y/o program they leave their classroom to go to gym class, music class and library on different days of the week.  By taking them out at 11:00 vs 2:00 (they would leave at 2:00 in the full time program) they are only missing out on lunch, outside play and nap time.  These are things we can do at home together though...at least until we decide they're ready for a transition to full time.  I like the office staff and the principal seems like she'll be running a tight ship in that school!  I didn't get a chance to meet their teacher but she'll be calling me this week sometime.  One thing I liked very much was the number of years each teacher has been in the school.  The girls will share a room with up to 20 students their age, 2 teachers AND 2 aides.  We haven't come to a decision just yet but it seems like a wonderful option to explore.  We shall see..........

1 comment: