Saturday, June 11, 2011

Ugh

Where on earth does the time go?  It's going by so fast :(  This week flew by.  It was HOT so the girls and I spent a lot of time outside in the water.  I'd say the pool but they don't really like the pool - or the slip n slide.  They prefer to play with the hose instead!  It's fine - we're all having fun so that's what matters. 

Today we went up to my cousin Kate's house for a picnic.  Lots of family and lots of fun.  But more importantly - the girls played with Kaleigh, Daniel and Christopher ALONE.  They didn't require Pete or me to by right next to them! They went outside and played up in Kaleighs room...all without the need for us!  Some would say it's bitter sweet.  I see their need for independence as huge leaps though.  Just in the last blog I was saying how hard it is to get them to be comfortable around other people.  So today was great!  AND IT WAS RELAXING!  I'm sure the shot of tequila helped........

Bad news came my way today though.  A friend - someone I worked with at UConn - was stabbed and shot to death by her ex-husband.  He then shot himself.  Both of their teenage sons were home at the time and I can't even imagine the repercussions this will cause for them.  I don't understand why people think it's ok to hurt other people.  Even sadder is that she knew this was going to happen.  She told everyone around her that he was going to kill her and that there wasn't anything anyone could do.  And she was right.  No matter how often the police were involved - it wasn't enough in the end.  I don't even know what to say or how to feel.  She wasn't a 'best' friend but she was a friend and I'm sad that the world had to lose her so early.  But I think I feel more emotion for her sons.  They lost both parents in one hateful, senseless act of violence.  There are no excuses that could make this less painful to accept.  It's a bitter part of reality that there really are downright bad people in the world.  I guess I'm sort of numb to it right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment