Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tired

I'm exhausted.  Physically and emotionally.  Emily has been attached to my leg and every time I turn around she's asking if I'm leaving.  It's not healthy...for her or me.  I love these kids with all my heart and soul.  I'm thankful (more than ever) that I am able to have this time at home with them.  But I must find a way to break away and get them to realize there's a world outside of mommy.  There are only a handful of people they will stay with 'willingly'.  My mother-in-law, my brother Joey and Pete's sister Rosemary.  Ok that's not even a handful!  Hannah & Hailey also have no problem staying with my brother Andrew.  The problem isn't that I can't stand the screaming and yelling when I leave them - I know they'll calm down after a while.  It's the fact that I can't stand to put that kind of pressure and chaos on someone else.  I'll figure it out. 

We've been getting a TON of outside play due to the weather being so nice.  The girls love the pool, slide and slip n slide.  Today I put a bucket outside with water in it just to switch things up a bit.  I didn't put bathing suits on them because we weren't actually going 'swimming'.  But I knew they'd make themselves all wet and I really didn't care.  BUT I did ask them if they wanted to take their shoes off.  They all said no.  I assumed they understood that meant NOT to get their shoes wet.  However; I look over to see Emily stepping into the bucket WITH her shoes on!  I said "Emily!  Those are NOT water shoes!"  She said "Yeah they are.  Look see - they're wet now.  I put them in water."  This kid...... 

1 comment:

  1. Heart wrenching I know to leave your kids crying - but they do calm down and the more you do the better! Completely age appropriate for the separation anxiety (both theirs and yours). Talk about it with them - they need you to reassure them that they will have be ok, and that when you return you will celebrate in your our way your reunion. Make something up - be consistent and then change it up a little at a time so that it's not a rigid plan. Start with maybe a babysitter while you do yard work. Then maybe while you run to the store and back. Maybe also not always having it be you that does the leaving/drop off part spread out the anxiety to others that love them and they trust. Lets talk more on this. You are an amazing Mom.

    ReplyDelete