Friday, February 4, 2011

What. A. Day.

Where to begin?  We wake up - and...was that crack in the wall there yesterday?  Hmmmm - I'm not sure.  Wait - what about that crack?  Uh oh.  That crack was definitely not there before. 

Pete and I knew what we were in for - with all the snow we've had and all of the building collapses in the state - we weren't taking any chances.  So I immediately packed some essentials while Pete was still here this morning.  I had him throw a bucket in his car with stuff (less for me to carry when we have to leave!). 

Pete had called the condo association to let them know we needed someone to come inspect the condo for some damage.  But after a couple of hours of not hearing back from them - he called the fire dept.  BEFORE letting me know!  LOL I got a text that said "The fire department is on their way.  Let me know how it goes."  There was a knock on the door a few minutes later.  3 fire fighters to the rescue!  Or at least here to check on the cracks in the walls. I sooo wish I had asked them to take a picture with the girls but for some reason that thought didn't cross my mind at the time. 

They said there is structural damage and the cracks are stress cracks.  They called the condo association - and of course someone was here within 5 minutes.  The fire dept said this was the 8th condo in the complex they had been to today.  The maintenance guy has his hands full since he's the ONLY full time employee on site for over 500 units.  He said that the engineers were here earlier in the morning and that the beams are 'flexing' but none have broken yet.  He followed that up with 'If one breaks - you'll know.  Get out as fast as you can.'  He said those words.  Even the fire fighter standing here was like 'Really?  With 3 kids?'  Ugh.  I get the point.  GET OUT NOW.  Why wait for something to happen?

It's all about insurance.  The insurance won't pay for someone to shovel - but they'll pay for the aftermath of destruction.  Well we're not waiting for the aftermath.  So the girls are going to stay at Pete's parents and we're just going to err on the side of safety. 

Just as I was typing this - the maintenance guy knocked on the door to say that they wouldn't get to shovel our roof off until tomorrow.  He said "It's up to you if you want to stay here.  But I don't think anything will happen.  I'm pretty sure the building is safe."  He's 'pretty sure'. 

Doesn't matter - we have a plan in place.  And - I also got some packing done for the move!

The move.  7 days.  The closing on the house in next Friday.  We were planning to move in slowly - but with the recent turn of events - we'll be packed and ready to go!  I haven't said too much about the move because we wanted to make sure everything was in place and it was a go!  But it's a go! 

The house is in West Hartford (close to Pete's parents).  It's 4 bedrooms, 2.5 baths and PERFECT in every way.  The yard is amazing.  It HAS a yard.  We currently trample around in our neighbors yards lol.  There is a sidewalk around the entire neighborhood.  It's walking distance to the elementary school (no - I'm NOT home schooling).  It's also walking distance to the middle school.   Did I mention it has a yard?  It has a yard!  Oh and a garage.  AND A YARD!

Even though it has 4 bedrooms - the girls will still be sharing a room.  They really LOVE sleeping in the same room and I think it'll give them some added sense of security with moving to a new place.  They've always slept in the same room - I don't see that changing until later in their teen years when they actually want their own space. 

I will NOT be putting clothes in the their closet though.  Nope.  I learned that lesson.  I'm putting their clothes in the extra room.  Since the only time I have to put away their clothes is when they're sleeping - it is totally pointless to keep clothes in the room where they sleep.  I WISH someone had told me that before I had them!  LOL  

I do see the comedy in all of this. It's like 'Oh you have to plan a birthday party? And you're moving? Here's an added bonus for you! How about you get out now! We'll call you when it's safe to come back lol.


And when all is said and done. With the threat of evacuation and possibly not being allowed back into our home, I was forced to decide what to bring with us. You know - the time when you're thinking to yourself "If I had to leave right now - what would I bring?"

Here's what I did/packed. Clothes for the girls. 9 outfits - 3 for each (they were all ready so that was easy). I told Pete to throw some of his stuff together. He was kind enough to grab some of my stuff as well (all clothes). Then...I accessorized! I threw on all of my jewelry (normally I don't even wear my wedding rings). Less to carry if I have it all on. Then I threw some of LB's clothes in a bucket (they are since back on the floor though). So basically clothes. And jewelry. I really am a simple person. I guess when it boils down to it - I've realized that the most important things in life are not things at all.

We are moving.  The girls are staying at the inlaws tonight.  They better shovel tomorrow.  If they don't - I will force them to declare an official evacuation so that our homeowners will cover the cost of a hotel and we'll just take a freakin' vacation for the next week!  I could so use a vacation.  A hotel with a pool -- the girls and I will be in our glory.  :)  Pete might not like being couped up in a room with 4 girls though haha. 

1 comment:

  1. Firefighters?? Get out!!!!! Oh- i guess you already did that!! So glad you all are laughing!!

    ReplyDelete