Saturday, August 27, 2011

Simple things

I always try to find ways to keep the girls occupied.  I love to take them outside and I love to take them to new parks...and they love going to the park.  It's hard not to get caught up in the house doing housework while they're playing and keeping each other occupied.  If you show up to my house on any given day (before nap) - you will find the table with breakfast left on it, toys on the floor, clothes strewn across the house and an empty coffee mug somewhere in the house.  On nice days - you won't find us here though.  I'm big on ditching the 'adult' responsibilities for taking the girls to and do something.  We like to visit people where I use to work, hit the park (or 2), go to Grammies house and hang out with the dog, take a walk, go to the pool, visit our cousins (this is a fav), anything BUT stay home and get caught up in cleaning.  I hate when my house is messy.  But I have to remember that one of the reasons I quit my full time job was so that I could spend TIME with the girls.   Cleaning the house while they're playing in another room isn't the kind of time I want.  I want good, quality time with them!  Not so that they can grow up and say "My mom spent sooo much time with me when I was little."  Nope. It's so that when they grow up I can say "I am so glad I got to spend that time with them when they were younger."  Time is something we all need/want more of.  And it's the one thing in life we truly can't buy or get back.  So I wanna make the best of what I have. 

We were suppose to go to the Cape this weekend but our plans were foiled by the impending hurricane. Since Pete had the time off anyway - we went to the zoo yesterday.  Have you ever read the book "Good Night, Gorilla"?  We have been reading this book to them since they were infants.  The bind on the book is destroyed and although the pages are made of a carboard like material - they're starting to get demolished as well.  But the girls insist that we keep the book and they love when we read it to them.  In the book - the zoo keeper is saying goodnight to all of the animals while the gorilla is letting the animals out of the cages.  So at the zoo yesterday - Hannah was way too nervous to enjoy anything.  She kept asking if they were going to get out of the cages.  LOL  At least she's paying attention when we read to her!  When we were at the bear exhibit - the bear got up and walked toward us.  Hannah & Hailey just about jumped out of the wagon and took off.  But they did enjoy themselves and we had a really nice family day. 

We took the girls to Friendly's for ice cream after the zoo.  When I asked the girls what their favorite animal at the zoo was - Emily & Hailey said the tiger.  I thought that was pretty weird since the tigers we saw were just kind of laying around and we didn't spend much time watching them.  Hannah said her favorite was seeing the monkey's (those were very active and they had 3 or 4 different species so it was a pretty big exhibit).  Then Emily says "I even gave the tiger a high five!"  Pete and I started laughing so hard..........

She did give him a high five!



No comments:

Post a Comment