Thursday, October 13, 2011

Stranger Danger

WTH is with society today?  What part of "talk to my 3 year old" sounds "acceptable"?   I get it.  There are 3 of them.  I know this because EVERY DAY I WAKE UP AND THEY'RE CALLING ME MOMMY!  But that doesn't mean it's ok for YOU to talk to them as if you're friends.  It's been a fine line to walk between 'stranger danger' and 'being rude'.  I tell them not to talk to strangers yet I'm telling them to say 'hi' when people talk to us.  No more.  Our new phrase is "I'm sorry but Mommy told me I can't talk to strangers."  That's it.  I'm not longer willing to be nice because I can't afford to be.  I can't risk them getting comfortable enough to make me worry when we're out in public. 

Every single day we practice (I drill) the following:

"What happens if someone asks you to pet their puppy?"
     "We say No Thank you - we can pet Marla at home.  And then we run away fast and scream!"
"What happens if someone asks you to see their kitten?"
     "We say No Thank you - and run away fast and scream!"
"What happens if someone tries to take you?"
     "We throw ourselves all around the place and scream and yell and bite until we get away!"

I also tell them:
"Who's allowed to touch your boobies or vagina?"
    "Only me and no one else."
"What happens if someone does touch you there?"
     "I'm gonna tell Mommy or Daddy RIGHT AWAY!"
"What can you tell Mommy?"
     "Everything!"
"Who loves you more than Mommy?" (hehehehe I love being mom)
     "NO ONE!"  Unless they're feeling giddy and then they'll say any name under the sun except mine!  LOL but they get the point. 

I don't want to teach them these things.  I want to teach them that the world is a safe place and full of love.  But that wouldn't be fair.  I have to teach them that home is safe and home is love...but when we're out we need to be cautious. 

At home - if the doorbell rings - my girls come running to ME...not the door.  If someone walks in - they're very cautious to approach until they know who it is.  And I'm totally fine with this.  I want them to know that the world ISN'T all good.  I need them to be prepared for when they're independent and on their own.  I can't protect them forever so I need to prepare them.  I know how over the top this all sounds but when broken down into bits and pieces - it's really not.  It's simply making sure they have the knowledge to carry with them when I'm not around. 

1 comment: